Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it really true that people only start to have vision problems when they learn to read?

I have heard stories about how people only develop poor eyesight when they learn to read. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'm wondering if it's just an urban legend kind of thing. Are there established cases where people have recorded this? If so, what about reading triggers the eyesight problems?Is it really true that people only start to have vision problems when they learn to read?
NO! Many people are born with vision problems, and many only learn their children have poor vision when they try to read.





It is an urban legend... reading a lot or spending time online can aid in development of myopia, however, myopia is caused by the eye growing just slightly too short (like 1/10 mm).





Also, using glasses will not change the length of the eye, therefore it cannot make your eyes ';worse';.





And in response to previously posted answers, 40 is the average age where presbyopia sets in. Some people develop this at 30 and some at 50. If you live long enough, you will develop presbyopia as a natural part of the aging process.Is it really true that people only start to have vision problems when they learn to read?
it can happen but if you read too much you can strain your eyes
No way, my son's first eye doctor appointment was at 4 months and he was already near sighted. Reading is probably when it becomes noticeable for most people, but it is not what triggers it. Most vision problems can be atributed to genetics, some to environment.
%My brother learned to read becos of glasses.Before he got them he could not see more than 2 feet a head of him.Its by chans that it hapens or elts no one would be without glasses.
Animals have problems with sight as well and it obviously isn't through reading.
I really don't believe that. If it were true my niece started reading before she was a year old.
I think they only notice their vision problems when they start to read
This is rubbish. I have always had extremely bad eyesight from way before I could read.


Reading in poor light or reading tiny print puts a strain on your eyes also. Everyones eyesight gets worse as they get older.
no
NO. It is easier to recognize some eye problems when a child begins to read. I had a congenital cataract that resulted in the removal of the lens from my right eye 3 days before my third birthday. Some kids are born with problems that can be picked out early others need to show difficulty before the parents even know to have them looked at.
OK......................................鈥?I Understand
I don't believe reading causes vision problems. Some children are born with bad eye sight and require glasses long before they start reading. As for the post that states vision problems start when you are in your 40's is incorrect. I myself am 40 and have no need for glasses. Either does my husband who happens to be 62. My grandmother didn't need glasses until she was well into her 70's.
I think that reading probably reveals the existence of vision problems frequently. However, I do not believe reading creates vision problems. The act of reading demands the eye focus and relay to the brain detail, contrast and order of stimuli. This work is harder for the eyes than reading one's environment. It is in these increased expectations of eye performance that vision impairments are revealed.





Perhaps other eye-focusing activities like video games, inspecting details at near-microscopic levels, peering at distances, separating colors, spotting 4-leaf clovers or looking for a needle in a haystack also reveal less than perfect vision response.





Other factors are sure to hamper or decrease vision potential including disease, accidents, aging and over-straining as well as genetic predisposition. I could be way off base but instinct tells me people have vision issues regardless of literacy.
Well if you dont start losing your eyes! Until you start reading that would mean every one should go blind sooner or later right? and well I just dont see everyone walking around blind or with glasses!
No -some people are born with vision problems and it is I believe in the genes as well
im not sure but its probably not true;i learned reading without any problems
Thank god *that's* what I can blame it on. I was afraid that Mom might have been right about ... you know.
no you start once you reach your 40s
No, It is not true. Two of my nephews have had vision problems when they were 1 year old. Reading and eyesight are not related. Only people who have vision problems have trouble reading not the other way around.
people can be born with misshapen cornias and eyeballs. There can also be problems in the brain people can be born with that interfere with vision.
i don't think thats true cuz lots of people are kind of blind and they don't even read
Only when they read a bad book. =D
it is an urban lengend peoples eyes go bad from negelcting proper care of them

No comments:

Post a Comment