Friday, February 5, 2010

Is true that reading in a dim light will not damaged our eyes or vision?

i have read in BMJ that said reading in dim light will no damaged our vision. They even conclude that reading a lot or reading in dim light was not the factor of causing myopia.





If that is so then what actually causing myopia? (second question)Is true that reading in a dim light will not damaged our eyes or vision?
Of course it will damage your vision. When you are trying to read in the dark, you are overworking the optic nerve in the back of your eyes and that will lead to poor focus which will require corective lense to re-focus your vision. The optic nerve also has control over the iris of your eye. When you over stretch the normal operating functions of the optic nerve, your eyes can easily lose it's fine-tuning abilitiesIs true that reading in a dim light will not damaged our eyes or vision?
We have two types of photoreceptors in the retina - rods (peripheral and night vision only) and cones. The part of our retina that we use for our central vision (ie what you would use for reading) has ONLY cones. So in poorer light, when the rods begin to activate and cones deactivate, you lose clarity in your central vision and this can cause strain. However, this will do NO permanet damage to our vision or eyes.





There is so much ambiguity regarding the genesis of myopia, but I think it is generally accepted that there are both genetic and environmental factors at play. I will recommend to my early myopes and those with a family history of myopia that straining the eyes at near is not a good idea.
The cause of myopia remains unknown. Studies indicate that the best way to predict who will be myopic is to look at family history and some myopia genes have been identified.





There is a little evidence for near work having an effect but it is very minor, not nearly as strong an influence as family history.





Reading in dim light is not a factor.
I didn't do much reading in dim light as a child but developed myopia anyway. I think in my case, it was something I was born with and would have developed it no matter what I did. I've heard it's hereditary and believe it because my older daughter also has the same condition. She has it almost as badly as I do. I can wear her glasses but they're just a little bit weak for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment